- I realize what the spirit of tae kwon do represent and will obey the instructions of the teachers placed above me.
- I will demonstrate the spirit of tae kwon do within my daily life, and will have a strong sense of justice.
- I will, with the best of my ability, try to develop my mind and body, and will keep faith in my fellow students.
- I will, under no circumstances, use the tae kwon do techniques against others without good cause.
- I avoid anything that could reduce my mental growth or harm my physical health.
- I am developing self-discipline to bring out the best in myself and others.
- The skills I learn in class are to help myself and others and will not be used abusively or offensively.
- I shall respect my parents and elders.
- I always uphold the Tenets of Tae Kwon Do.
The Tenets of Tae Kwon Do
The Meaning of Belt Colors
Q: Can you explain the meaning of each belt color?
A: (Study your current belt color.)
- White belt signifies purity, cleanliness, and the readiness to change
- Yellow belt signifies the sunrise and opening oneself to receive knowledge
- Purple belt signifies peace, tranquility, and vitality with the building of character
- Orange belt signifies fire, motivation and inspiration
- Green belt signifies the spring, new life and beginnings
- Blue belt signifies the sky, youth and ambition
- Brown belt signifies the earth and mountains and the development of a strong foundation
- Red belt represents the sun and its brightness and energy, which are the physical acts of the individual.
- Black belt contains all colors, signifying the deepest and most dense knowledge, the accumulation of preceding levels
TAE KWON DO TERMINOLOGY
|1 – HANA||2 – DOOL||1ST – IL||2ND – YI|
|3 – SET||4 – NET||3RD – SAM||4TH – SA|
|5 – DA SUT||6 – YEO SUT||5TH – OH||6TH – YOOK|
|7 – EEL GOPE||8 – YAW DUL||7TH – CHIL||8TH – PAWL|
|9 – AH HOPE||10 – YEOL||9TH – GOO||10TH – SHIP|
|20 – SUMUL||30 – SUHLUN||20TH – YI SHIP||30TH – SAM SHIP|
|100 – BAEK||
|100TH – BAEK|
ALWAYS RESPECT HIGHER BELTS AND REMEMBER TO SHOW
GUAN JANG NIM THE HIGHEST DEGREE OF RESPECT.